CGEIT (Certified in the Governance of Enterprise IT) Certification
The CGEIT qualification
The CGEIT (Certified in the Governance of Enterprise IT) qualification, awarded by ISACA®, demonstrates that holders have the expert knowledge and experience necessary to support GEIT (governance of enterprise IT) – ensuring that an organisation’s IT is governed from the top, and therefore aligned with business needs and goals.
The certification was designed for professionals with significant management experience relating to GEIT, and is recognised across the world as one of the information security industry’s premier qualifications.
What are the requirements for the CGEIT qualification?
CGEIT is awarded to candidates with at least five years’ relevant work experience who pass a rigorous written exam based on five job practice domains:
- Domain 1: Framework for the Governance of Enterprise IT (25% of exam)
- “Ensure the definition, establishment, and management of a framework for the governance of enterprise IT in alignment with the mission, vision and values of the enterprise.”
- Domain 2: Strategic Management (20% of exam)
- “Ensure that IT enables and supports the achievement of enterprise objectives through the integration and alignment of IT strategic plans with enterprise strategic plans.”
- Domain 3: Benefits Realization (16% of exam)
- “Ensure that IT-enabled investments are managed to deliver optimized business benefits and that benefit realization outcome and performance measures are established, evaluated and progress is reported to key stakeholders.”
- Domain 4: Risk Optimization (24% of exam)
- “Ensure that an IT risk management framework exists to identify, analyze, mitigate, manage, monitor, and communicate IT-related business risk, and that the framework for IT risk management is in alignment with the enterprise risk management (ERM) framework.”
- Domain 5: Resource Optimization (15% of exam)
- “Ensure the optimization of IT resources including information, services, infrastructure and applications, and people, to support the achievement of enterprise objectives.”
You can find more information about the five domains on the ISACA website.
How do you pass the CGEIT exam at the first attempt?
- Check that you have the relevant five years of work experience to qualify.
- Register for and schedule your exam with ISACA.
- Read the official ISACA study guides and third-party textbooks.
- Plan a self-study programme that covers all CGEIT knowledge domains.
How to register for and schedule the CGEIT exam
The CGEIT exam is offered via a computer-based testing session, which is available during three testing windows per year.
You must first register online with ISACA and pay for the exam in advance.
ISACA’s 2019 exam registration fees are:
- $575 (about £440) for ISACA members
- $760 (about £580) for non-members
You will then receive email instructions on how to schedule an exam appointment at a local PSI exam centre.
Study for the CGEIT exam
We have a complete range of CGEIT study guides and training services to help you achieve your CGEIT qualification: